Thursday, July 15, 2010

Review: EVERMORE by Alyson Noel



[Info:]


{Title:} EVERMORE (The Immortals, Book One)


{By:} Alyson Noel


{Publisher:} St. Martin's Griffin


{Release Date:} February 3rd, 2009


{Pages:} 320


[Description:]

Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, Ever can see auras, hear people's thoughts, and know a person's entire life story by touch. Going out of her way to avoid human contact and suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school—but everything changes when she meets Damen.
Damen Auguste is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head—wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can see straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions than answers. She has no idea just who he really is—or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.


[Thoughts:]

I was a little unsure about the first book in the Immortals series by Alyson Noel entitled EVERMORE. I heard a mixture of things about it -- I heard it was INCREDIBLE, and hard to put down. And then I also caught word it was a "rip off" of Stephenie Meyer's TWILIGHT. That bit of news particularly bothered me, since I'm definitely NOT a fan of Ms. Meyer or her work, especially after I met her in person some time after New Moon came out and found she was VERY disrespectful to her fans. But ANYWAY, back to EVERMORE. I decided to get it over with, moved it up on my To Be Read pile, and purchased each installment as they came out.

And I am SO glad that I did!

EVERMORE is a unique take on life, weaving fantasy and reality beautifully by integrating aspects of various religions/spirituality/beliefs/customs/etc. with history and the modern day. There isn't some insane suspension of disbelief, which a a bit refreshing for a more supernaturally themed novel. Don't get me wrong, I love my crazy out there books too, but this particular book really entertained me with how easily she made it all flow together.

Alyson Noel gives a great cast of characters to go along with the already intriguing storyline. Each are memorable and unique, from the curious Ever with her psychic abilities, to the dashing and mysterious Damen, and especially Ever's best friends -- two misfits, Miles and Haven. Not to mention, Ever's lovable (and dead) little sister Riley.

Another thing I personally enjoyed in this series in general has been the art history references. I don't recall if they are AS prominent in EVERMORE, but I know it definitely is in BLUE MOON, SHADOWLAND, and the newest -- DARK FLAME. And, seeing as I'm an Art Major in college, one that really loves her Art History courses, I love reading the references and know exactly the artist or piece being referred to. I feel like earing an A in History of Art I and II is paying off in my everyday life.

EVERMORE is the sort of book I enjoy reading -- the kind that stands out from everything else out there -- no matter what some people may think. EVERMORE is the sort of book that delights me in the fact that once I think I have everything all figured out, I end up being proven completely wrong and left speechless.

So, head out and pick up Alyson Noel's EVERMORE. You won't regret it.
And stay tuned for my reviews of the next three books in the IMMORTALS series.


~Angel

No comments: