Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Interview: Heather Brewer!

Heather Brewer, Myself, and Jackie Kessler -- New York, Backspace Writer's Conference, August 2008


The one, the only -- the fantastic Heather Brewer!


1.) What was the inspiration for The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod?

I was extremely unpopular growing up and as such, I know what it's like to feel like a total freak. The story of Vlad is very much a way for me to deal with the issues I faced every day as a teen. Also, my son Jacob is very much like Vlad. So Vlad is kind of a half-me/half-Jacob hybrid.

2.) What are some of your favorite things about being published?

My absolute favorite part of being published is getting to hang out with my Minions regularly. Going to work in my jammies is a close second.

3.) What made you want to be a published author?

I learned quickly to escape into books, into other worlds when I was younger. I've always wanted to provide someone else with that escapism.

4.) What inspires you?

Everything. Dreams, reality, conversations, silence. Everything.

5.) You have an ever-growing Minion Horde. Tell us a bit about your thoughts of the relationship between authors and their fans?

I think a strong relationship between readers and writers is crucial to success. As an author, I'm having a conversation with my readers. Without them, what's the point?

6.) What is the craziest thing to happen to you at an event?

A girl asked me if I'd sign her butt once. I declined. Oh, and a boy asked me if anyone ever followed me home after events – when I said no, he said (in a creepy stalker voice), "Well, how would you know, with all those people on the road?"

7.) If Vlad had his own soundtrack, what are some songs that would be on it?

"Animal I Have Become" by Three Days Grace is absolutely Vlad (especially in the third book, Tenth Grade Bleeds). Some other songs I'd have to include are "Shut Me Up" by Mindless Self Indulgence and "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails.

8.) And what about yourself? Do you have a theme song?

I'd love for my theme song to be Darth Vader's theme music, but it's probably closer to "White and Nerdy" by Weird Al.

9.) Any advice for the aspiring authors out there?

Follow my formula for getting past those "stuck" moments: butt + chair = writing.



There you have it, ladies and gents -- the one and only, neato groovy sock wearing, vampire loving: Heather Brewer! Now, stay tuned all this week for more Vlad-related things, all in celebration of the next and greatest installment of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod - Tenth Grade Bleeds!



~Angel

No comments: