Monday, December 21, 2009

Top Five Choices for Christmas Gifts

I figured since my comback week was Christmas week, I'd start things off for those of you that are last minute shoppers -- my Top Five Choices for Books that make AWESOME Christmas presents. Now, anyone can copy and paste the bestsellers out there just because that's something they know a lot of people buy. But I went through and picked some of my favorite novels that I consider worthy of Bestseller status and wrote why I thought they'd be great.

These are in no particular order, so don't assume I'm rating them according to which is my favorite:


1. Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink -- This book is the start to what I feel will be a spectacular series. It's filled with mystery, love, and lyrical writing, and is sure to be a favorite of anyone that reads it.


2. The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King -- One of my favorite books of all time. Perfect for those that love a good adventure. Filled with Irish history, pirates, dogs, and a world full of other things I love -- this book is even loved by boyfriends. (Mine is reading it right now and loves it!)



3. I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone and Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert -- Okay, this is TWO books, but really -- I couldn't choose between the two. I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone is perfect for the punk rockers of your life, as well as anyone else. And Ballads of Suburbia is just about the most perfect book you could ask for -- it fills you with hope, makes you ball your eyes out, and really breaks your heart when you finish because you just want to keep reading. Stephanie Kuehnert is one of my favorite authors of all time. And that is REALLY saying something.



4. A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb -- This book really haunted me. The writing is beautiful, and the idea is very original. It might be my favorite book of all time, if not one of my top favorites. Either way -- this book is an ideal gift for anyone in your life.

And, last but not least --


5. Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev -- A FANTASTIC book, perfect for the theatre lovers in your life. It's another example of an ideal blend -- adventure, love, humor, heartbreak, and hope. I'm dying to read the next book in the series -- and so will whoever you give this book to.
Hoepfully, this helps you in your quest for last minute gifts for that avid reader in your life!
~Angel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to read a bunch of these - Eyes Like Stars, Ballads of Suburbia and A Certain Slant of Light. Great suggestions.