Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

I’ve got to say, I am 100% addicted to these books, and have been for some time now. I decided to wait to post my review until AFTER I finally got to finish City of Glass, the third book in the series. If it wasn’t for the fact my mother took off with my copy of City of Glass before I had the chance to read it, I would’ve had it finished quite some time back. I finished it not too long ago, but never got around to posting my review of the series thus far.

City of Bones:

It has been a long time since a book has captured me quite like the Harry Potter books did, and I believe the only other book series to come close was the Vampire Kisses series. But when I began City of Bones, I knew I had fallen in love again.
In City of Bones, we are introduced to the concept that there are, in fact, real creatures and monsters and angels. We come to know some of the most amazing characters I’ve ever read -- some of which are Clary, Jace, and Simon. Clary stumbles upon a world she’d never imagined could exist, and her life changes forever. Especially when there’s a handsome yet mysterious (not to mention egotistical) Shadowhunter named Jace, who instantly clashes with Clary’s best friend, Simon, who has been in love with Clary for years.
I really hated putting City of Bones down, and once I finished it, I immediately arranged to go to Borders, which is an hour and something away, to purchase City of Ashes.

City of Ashes:

I always fear the books that come after the first, especially if I really loved the first book. Luckily for me, City of Ashes did not disappoint.
Clary’s story continues as she learns more about the world of the Shadowhunters -- the world she had never existed before her very eyes. You see more into the fascinating world created so skillfully by Cassandra Clare, and learn about all the different creatures that are out there.
Really, there isn’t a lot of detail I can add about City of Ashes with spoiling anything. But I will say the end of this book is the kind of cliffhanger that makes you ache to read the next book. Unfortunately for me, when I finished City of Ashes, City of Glass had yet to be published.

City of Glass:

Though it wasn’t that much of a wait, I was still eager to pick up my copy of City of Glass when I finally got the chance. If it weren’t for an arc I had to read at the time, I would’ve dove into it immediately. So, of course, my mom ran off with City of Glass, because she had borrowed the first two from me.
But when I finally got to read City of Glass -- I could not stop. I was so hooked, I read at every single free moment I could manage. I’d stay up late and wake up early. And it was all worth it, every single page. I laughed, I cried, and I felt like the series was being done justice. One of my biggest peeves is when characters stop being themselves to be whatever the author wants them to be. I was very pleased Cassandra Clare hasn’t turned out to be one of those authors.

Now, with City of Fallen Angels in the works, plus a new series in the same universe, The Infernal Devices (the first book is The Clockwork Angel) coming out in the future -- I expect a great deal from Cassandra Clare and her writing. I hope to see more fantastic books that I can’t put down, books that capture me just like Harry Potter did, from Ms. Clare.
With Christmas just around the corner, I recommend this series for the avid reader in your life. I’ve never recommended it to someone who didn’t love it, so far.
~Angel

No comments: