Thursday, September 3, 2009

Review: I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone by Stephanie Kuehnert


[Description:]

Punk rock is in Emily Black's blood. Her mother, Louisa, hit the road to follow the incendiary music scene when Emily was four months old and never came back. Now Emily's all grown up with a punk band of her own, determined to find the tune that will bring her mother home. Because if Louisa really is following the music, shouldn't it lead her right back to Emily?

[Info:]

{Title} I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
{By} Stephanie Kuehnert
{Publisher} MTV Books
{Release Date} July 8, 2008
{Pages} 352

[Angel's Thoughts:]

Now this, my dear readers, is the book I'm always pleased to find when I buy new books. Stephanie Kuehnert has a gift when it comes to writing. Especially writing books that feel unbelievably real. In her debut novel, I WANNA BE YOUR JOEY RAMONE, Stephanie introduces us to Emily Black, a girl born to rock. You journey through her life, the formation of her band -- She Laughs -- and her desire to find her mother again, and understand just why she left in the first place.

When I started reading I WANNA BE YOUR JOEY RAMONE, I was working the 9 to 5 life as a volunteer in a medical clinic. I would take books in to read on my break. Needless to say, I hid out whenever I could once I began reading, and somehow managed to read every page in one day. There were times in which I completely forgot I was reading fiction because it felt so absolutely real and raw. There were times that I felt like I knew exactly what the characters felt, and times where I felt like I was being shown a life unlike my own. All the while, I still couldn't get a grasp on the fact I was reading a fictional story about a fictional girl, though I'm sure her story is likely to be lived out somewhere.

If I could, I'd kick Twilight off the "Bestseller" list and place I WANNA BE YOUR JOEY RAMONE where it should be -- on the Bestseller list. This is a book for the young, and the old. For the reader, and for the one that is searching for something that really speaks out to them about the chaos in their life.

So, if you haven't read I WANNA BE YOUR JOEY RAMONE, do so. Stephanie Kuehnert does not disappoint. Look forward to my review of her second novel, BALLADS OF SUBURBIA, as soon as I get it read. I've got to tell you, I was so excited to buy it, I went to Borders on my VACATION in Boston to pick up my copy.

And if you want to read my interview with Stephanie Kuehnert, go here:




~Angel

No comments: