Thursday, August 13, 2009

Review: Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev


Beatrice Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater.
She's not an orphan, but she has no parents.
She knows every part, but she has no lines of her own.
Until now.
Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the characters of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book--an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family--and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known.

Let me tell you something right now -- if you have yet to read this book, or haven't even heard of it -- you're missing out on something spectacular. And by the end of this review, you'll be dying to get your hands on a copy. Like, for instance, I was supposed to post this review before I left for my trip to Boston and Salem. But I took my sweet time reading this book because I didn't want to rush it. I savored each and every page, just as I hope everyone that reads it will.
Bertie, the lead role in Eyes Like Stars, is quite the character. I always love a book with strong main characters that you just have to fall in love with, and Bertie is just such a character. She's different, and flawed. Most everything she does seems to backfire somehow. Teamed with her ever present (and mischievous) comrades -- the fairies Peaseblossom, Cobweb, Moth, and Mustardseed -- she usually gets into trouble.
There are others that add to the delightfully diverse cast. One of my favorites was Nate, a pirate from The Little Mermaid. Or Ariel, an airy spirit from The Tempest. You admire Nate and how he treats Bertie. And Ariel -- well, he is just one of the most memorable characters ever.
The Théâtre Illuminata, Book One: Eyes Like Stars is a book for everyone -- young or old; actors or readers; lovers or fighters. I highly reccomend you purchase Eyes Like Stars now. You'll be begging for the sequel, just as I am now.
~Angel

No comments: