Monday, June 8, 2009

Review: The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King


In the late seventeenth century, famed teenage pirate Emer Morrisey was on the cusp of escaping the pirate life with her one true love and unfathomable riches when she was slain and cursed with "the dust of one hundred dogs," dooming her to one hundred lives as a dog before returning to a human body-with her memories intact.
Now she's a contemporary American teenager and all she needs is a shovel and a ride to Jamaica.



First things first: Oh. My. God. I love this book.
Now that that is out of the way --
The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King is one of the most original things I have ever read in my life. It’s filled with some of my favorite things: pirates, Ireland, dogs, violence, kick-ass characters, and adventure. The characters are so real and well developed, it’s breathtaking. You really feel for Emer and Saffron. You cheer for them. Your heart breaks as Emer struggles and suffers. You want to help Saffron get back to Jamaica. You just honestly care.
Not to mention -- Emer is my hero.


I can’t say much else without spoiling, so I’ll leave it at this:
Buy this book. Now.
Read it several times.
Friend A.S. King because she is awesomeness embodied -- trust me.


Author: A.S. King

EAN: 9780738714264

Trade Paperback

Young Adult/FictionPrice: $9.95
Release: February 2009



~Angel

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more. This is one of the most bold, original pieces of YA I've ever read. A.S. King pulls no punches and (rather like Emer) takes no prisoners. It's more than a rip-roaring adventure story. It's a powerful and challenging piece of literature!

Ty Drago
Editor/Publisher
Allegory
(www.allegoryezine.com